BackstoryBlack Beans are part of the Venezuela National Dish Pabellon.
For more recipes visit http://carolinasculinaryjourney.blogspot.com/
Follow me in facebook @ Chef carolina Ascanio
- 1 bag of dried black beans
- 1/2 tbsp sodium bicarbonate
- 7 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tbsp black cumin
- 1 tbsp of panela (piloncillo o brown sugar cane)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Clean the beans rinse and soak them overnight in water with a 1/2 tbsp of sodium bicarbonate.
- Drain the beans.
- Prepare a Sofrito: heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, green pepper, red peppers and bay leaf. Cook them over low medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the black beans with 7 cups of water. As they start to boiling you need to remove with a spoon the foam that form in the surface.
- When the black beans are soft add sofrito, panela, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook beans for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and sprinkle some fresh cilantro.
- You can make a delicious “Pabellón Criollo: shredded beef, black beans, rice and fried plantains after you cook the black bean soup!
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Anisette sponge cookiesSee More