- 1 bag of dried black beans
- 1/2 tbsp sodium bicarbonate
- 7 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tbsp black cumin
- 1 tbsp of panela (piloncillo o brown sugar cane)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Clean the beans rinse and soak them overnight in water with a 1/2 tbsp of sodium bicarbonate.
- Drain the beans.
- Prepare a Sofrito: heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, green pepper, red peppers and bay leaf. Cook them over low medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the black beans with 7 cups of water. As they start to boiling you need to remove with a spoon the foam that form in the surface.
- When the black beans are soft add sofrito, panela, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook beans for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and sprinkle some fresh cilantro.
- You can make a delicious “Pabellón Criollo: shredded beef, black beans, rice and fried plantains after you cook the black bean soup!
NotesBlack Beans are part of the Venezuela National Dish Pabellon.
For more recipes visit http://carolinasculinaryjourney.blogspot.com/
Follow me in facebook @ Chef carolina Ascanio
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
My Family CookbookSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More