- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pablano pepper, divided
- 2 (15-ounce)cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lime
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 chopped fresh cilantro
- Toppings: lime wedges, diced mango, sliced radishes, sliced fresh jalapeno peppers, sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
- 2. Bring broth, next 2 ingredients, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1 cup water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and poblano pepper, and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in black beans, chili powder, cumin, and 3/4 cup water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- 4. Grate zest from lime, avoiding pale bitter pith, into a bowl; squeeze juice from lime into bowl.
- 5. Fluff rice with a fork. Fold lime zest and juice, coconut, green onions, and cilantro into hot cooked rice. Serve bean mixture over rice with desired toppings.
- 6. Makes 6 servings.
MetroCooking Texas 2013
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More