Black Beans with Yellow Rice
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1-pound package dried black beans
1- by 3-inch piece of salt pork or a ham bone
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 slice bacon, minced
½ cup olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Rinse beans and remove stones.
2. Put beans in a pot with 6 cups water or enough to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes; cover pot and let stand 1 hour.
3. Add ham bone or slab of salt pork, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and minced bacon to the pot.
4. Sauté the onion, green pepper, and garlic in the olive oil; add to beans. Cover pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer at least 6 hours. Add a little water if needed. Remove salt pork and baby leaves.
5. Serve over yellow rice and sprinkle with some red wine vinegar and chopped onions