- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 25 birds, well covered with water
- 3/4 lb. sausage (link) - optional
- For pie crust strips:
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup very warm water (almost hot)
- For pie crust strips: Mix little biscuit dough. Knead 'til tough and dry - roll with rolling pin 'til very thin and cut into 2-inch strips.
- Clean birds
- Cook until tender (at least 2 hours or 1 hour for chicken). Salt and pepper to taste. When birds are tender, keep broth at a rolling boil and drop in pastry - piece by piece, shaking pot constantly to keeep pastry pieces separated. When all is in pot, place cover on and let cook for approximately 10 minutes. Let set for about ten more minutes. Then eat.
- If you are unfamiliar with making pastry from scratch, you can substitute canned biscuits (roll individually with rolling pin). Or buy frozen pastry from bakery. If you use canned biscuits, let set for one-half hour and roll or flatten again to thinness desired.
NotesI know you have heard of Black Bird Pie, just have never eat any! Well here is the recipe. Can use chicken, if you rather not eat black birds. This recipe is very old, came from my great-grand mothers's grand mother. Back when black birds might be all you had to eat, so you cooked what you had. Better than nothing!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Babette's Test Kitchen
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More