- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12-14
- Preparation Time:
- For the filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, regular or reduced fat, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet mini chocolate chips
- For the cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unflavored vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- MAKE THE FILLING
- 1. Beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- 1. Adjust the rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 12-cup muffin tin, or line the tin with paper muffin cups.
- 2. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- 3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients, stirring until just smooth. Stir any longer and you will over mix the batter and end up with less-than-tender cupcakes.
- 4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Spoon a few tablespoons of the filling into the center of each cupcake, dividing the filling evenly. This will fill the cups almost completely, which is fine.
- 5. Bake for 25 minutes (Mine were done at about 19 minutes), or until the tops are slightly golden brown and the cupcakes feel springy when gently pressed.
- These moist treats will keep well unrefrigerated for 2 to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
NotesBlogged at howtoeatacupcake.blogspot.com
The recipe is from The Great Book of Chocolate by David Lebovitz.
These moist treats will keep well unrefrigerated for 2 to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Christmas CookiesSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More