BLACK BOTTOM PIE
- Black Bottom Pie
- The Crust:
- 8 oz plain chocolate cookies, finely crumbled
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- In a medium sized bowl, blend the cookie crumbs & sugar with the melted butter. Press crumb mixture into a greased, glass pie plate, going half way up the sides of the plate. Bake at 300 *F for 8 minutes. Cool.
- The Custards:
- 2 cups milk (warmed in microwave)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips (3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cool water
- whipped cream for topping
Put warm milk in a double boiler, over (not in) boiling water.
Whisk together egg yolks, sugar & cornstarch. Add mixture to milk in double boiler, stirring constantly until a thick sauce forms. Remove from heat.
In a small sauce pan, slowly melt the chocolate chips. Remove from heat & whisk in 1/2 cup of the custard sauce & the vanilla until smooth. Pour over the pie crust, & refrigerate to set.
Soften gelatin in the 1/4 cup cold water for a few minutes, then heat in microwave until gelatin is thoroughly dissolved. Set aside to cool, whisking occasionally so it does not set.
Beat the egg whites until almost stiff. Fold egg whites into cooled custard sauce. Pour on top of the crust & chocolate custard, cover with plastic wrap, & refrigerate until firmly set, 3-4 hours.
Cut into 8 servings. Top with whipped cream, & maybe some chocolate shavings. Refrigerated, it will keep easily for 4-5 days.