- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Black Bottom Pie
- The Crust:
- 8 oz plain chocolate cookies, finely crumbled
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- In a medium sized bowl, blend the cookie crumbs & sugar with the melted butter. Press crumb mixture into a greased, glass pie plate, going half way up the sides of the plate. Bake at 300 *F for 8 minutes. Cool.
- The Custards:
- 2 cups milk (warmed in microwave)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips (3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cool water
- whipped cream for topping
- Put warm milk in a double boiler, over (not in) boiling water.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar & cornstarch. Add mixture to milk in double boiler, stirring constantly until a thick sauce forms. Remove from heat.
- In a small sauce pan, slowly melt the chocolate chips. Remove from heat & whisk in 1/2 cup of the custard sauce & the vanilla until smooth. Pour over the pie crust, & refrigerate to set.
- Soften gelatin in the 1/4 cup cold water for a few minutes, then heat in microwave until gelatin is thoroughly dissolved. Set aside to cool, whisking occasionally so it does not set.
- Beat the egg whites until almost stiff. Fold egg whites into cooled custard sauce. Pour on top of the crust & chocolate custard, cover with plastic wrap, & refrigerate until firmly set, 3-4 hours.
- Cut into 8 servings. Top with whipped cream, & maybe some chocolate shavings. Refrigerated, it will keep easily for 4-5 days.
NotesIt's just so yummy
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More