- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- deep 23cm (9in) cake tin, lined
- 250g soft unsalted butter
- 250g dark muscovado sugar
- the marinated fruit mixture
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs
- 275g plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 55g burnt sugar essence
- 225g burnt brown sugar if you're prepared to make it
- [125g black treacle (molasses)]
- Preheat the oven to 180c (350f).
- Cream the butter and sugar and beat in the fruit, rum and wine mixture.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon and then beat in the eggs.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder, and finally the burnt sugar essence [or treacle, if using]. The batter should be dark brown.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and cook for 1 hour, then turn the oven down to 170c (340f) and cook for a further 2 and a half to 3 hours.
- Remove to a wire rack but do not unmould till the cake's completely cold.
- Wrap it in a double-thickness of foil or waxed paper and let it sit until you're ready to ice it.
- Marzipan and ice as you would do with any Christmas/Fruit cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More