- Cooking Time: 18-20 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryOne of my husband's favorite candies has always been a chocolate covered cherry. Here, I've combined those flavors in a muffin!
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen dark, sweet cherries, halved
- 1 (4 oz) bar good quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (6 oz) container Black Cherry Greek Yogurt (sub plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt, if desired)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.; line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Fold in the cherries and the chocolate; set aside.
- In a medium bowl or measuring cup, combine the beaten egg, butter, yogurt, buttermilk and almond extract. Fold into the flour mixture until just blended, being careful not to over mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to divide the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the tops of the muffins. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.