Black Coffee Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting
1 c soymilk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
1 c flour
1/3 c dutch pressed cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp fine ground coffee
6 oz firm tofu (press out the water)
2 tbls soy milk
1 tablespoon agave
4 tsp espresso powder (or finely ground coffee grains)
2 tsp hazelnut liquer
1 tsp vanilla
6 oz semisweet chocolate
1. if you use real vanilla beans, simmer a bean in warm water and slice it open to scrape into the wet ingredients.
2. preheat the oven to 350F and spray your cupcake liners with oil. i use olive oil in an atomizer and you never notice the flavor.
3. use a mortar and pestle to get a finer texture for the coffee.
1. mix soy milk and vinegar. let it sit about 5 minutes to curdle.
2. mix sugar and the remaining wet ingredients with the soymilk and vinegar until they are slightly foamy.
3. sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. add the dry to the wet
5. mix til it's almost lump-fee. it doesn't have to be perfect.
6. spoon the batter into your liners til they are 2/3 to 3/4 full
7. bake. 10 minutes for minis, about 15 for regular cupcakes.
1. melt down the chocolate using a double boiler or a pot topped with a heat-proof bowl and slowly melt/mix to a nice smooth thick but drippy texture.
2. mix the dry ingredients with the shortening and butter.
3. slowly add the melted chocolate.
4. add more powdered sugar as necessary.
5. chill slightly before topping your cupcakes
garnish with a little cocoa powder.
Pairs Well With
After a weekend in the woods, sometimes you need to warm up with a good cup(cake) of coffee.