BLACK COFFEE CUPCAKES WITH MOCHA FROSTING
- Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes
- Servings: 12 regular or 24 mini
- Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 c soymilk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 c flour
- 1/3 c dutch pressed cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fine ground coffee
- Mocha Frosting
- 6 oz firm tofu (press out the water)
- 2 tbls soy milk
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 4 tsp espresso powder (or finely ground coffee grains)
- 2 tsp hazelnut liquer
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate
1. if you use real vanilla beans, simmer a bean in warm water and slice it open to scrape into the wet ingredients.
2. preheat the oven to 350F and spray your cupcake liners with oil. i use olive oil in an atomizer and you never notice the flavor.
3. use a mortar and pestle to get a finer texture for the coffee.
1. mix soy milk and vinegar. let it sit about 5 minutes to curdle.
2. mix sugar and the remaining wet ingredients with the soymilk and vinegar until they are slightly foamy.
3. sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. add the dry to the wet
5. mix til it's almost lump-fee. it doesn't have to be perfect.
6. spoon the batter into your liners til they are 2/3 to 3/4 full
7. bake. 10 minutes for minis, about 15 for regular cupcakes.
1. Crumblethe tofu into a blender. Add the soymilk, agave, espresso, liquer, and vanilla. Blend until smooth
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, stirring constantly. Once melted, add it to the blender and blend.
4. Chill the mousse to firm (about one hour) and then let it set about 10 minutes before handling.
5. You can use a spatula or pipping bag to top the cupcakes. I like to garnish with a little cocoa powder.