- Cooking Time: 30-35
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 25
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 (16.5 ounce) can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained with juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 9" pans.
- Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add water, shortening, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined. Then beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and melted chocolate and beat 2 minutes more. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Drain cherries reserving 2/3 cup of the liquid. In a medium sauce pan combine reserved liquid and cornstarch, add fruit. Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for more 2 minutes. Remove from heat cover and cool without stirring.
- Spread filling between layers. You could ice this cake, but it's pretty rich as it is. I piped whipped cream around the edge and topped with cherries.
NotesThis was cake number six in my cake year challenge. I made it on Miss America night with a bunch of my girlfriends! So so so good, and really moist.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
The One Dollar Cookbook
Vegetarian RecipesSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More