- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Eggs 3
- Plain flour 50 g
- Cocoa powder 50 g
- Butter 75 g
- For the Filling
- Kirsch 5-6 tbsp
- Cream 575 ml
- Black cherries, drained, stoned and chopped 425 g
- To Decorate
- Plain chocolate 225 g
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease two deep 20 cm/8 inch round cake tins, line the bases with greaseproof paper and grease the paper.
- black-forest-cake11 Black Forest Cake
- 2. Place the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bow and beat with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes on until the mixture is thick and pale.
- 3. Sift together the flour and cocoa powder then sift again into the whisked mixture. Fold in very gently, then slowly trickle in the melted butter and continue to fold in gently.
- black-forest-cake13 Black Forest Cakeblack-forest-cake14 Black Forest Cake
- 4. Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth the surfaces. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes, or until springy to the touch. Leave in the tin for about 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack, peel off the lining paper and leave to cool.
- 5. Cut each cake in half horizontally and lay on a work surface. Sprinkle the four layers with the Kirsch
- 6. In a large bowl, whip the cream until it holds soft peaks. Transfer two-thirds of the cream to another bowl and stir in the chopped cherries. Place a layer of cake on a serving plate or cake board and spread over one-third of the filling. Top with another layer of cake and continue layering, finishing with a layer of cake.
- 7. Use the remaining whipped cream to cover the top and sides of the gateau, spreading it evenly with a knife.
- 8. To decorate the gateau, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water, or in a double boiler. Spread the chocolate out on to a plastic chopping board and allow to set.
- 9. Using a long sharp knife, scrape along the surface of the melted chocolate to make thin shavings and use these to cover the sides of the cake and to decorate the top. Finish by arranging the cherries on top of the gateau. Dust with sifted icing sugar, if wished.
NotesTry to dress it
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Tandori Spiced Chicken
Three Cheese Beer Bread
Neiman Marcus CakeSee More