- Cooking Time: 10-15
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 2/3 Cups Sugar
- 1/3 Cup sifted Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa
- 6 Tbsp. clarified Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Kirsch (I was able to find "nips", so just bought two)
- 1 Can dark Pitted Cherries (I got the kind in syrup,drained)
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream, whipped
- 1/3 Cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 Chocolate bar, shaved into curls
- Maraschino Cherries, for garnish
- Combine eggs, vanilla, and 2/3 cup sugar; beat with mixer 10 minutes at high speed.
- Sift together flour and cocoa and fold into egg mixture.
- Add melted butter, stirring just until mixed; do not over mix.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 6" round cake pans (or, use 2, 8" cake pans, if you don't care about the "torte" effect.)
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven 10 to 15 minutes, or until sides start to pull away and tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes and turn out onto rack to cool thoroughly.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, and water. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm. Add Kirsch and sprinkle over cake layers.
- Beat cream, add confectioners' sugar and a bit of vanilla or almond to flavor.
- Frost one layer with cream, top with cherries, and if using 6" cakes, repeat.
- Top with final layer, Frost with cream, garnish with maraschino cherries and shaved chocolate. Refrigerate till serving time.
NotesThis is a combination of several different recipes I came up with for a relatively easy (and delicious) version of this old-time German cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More