- Cooking Time: 7 to 10
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy mother brought this recipe from Germany with her. Our family has been making and enjoying them ever since.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Mix butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg & molasses in a bowl.
- Sift flour, baking soda, black pepper and cinnamon into another bowl.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture bit by bit and mix thoroughly.
- Shape dough into a ball and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
- Roll out dough at about 1/8 thickness (I like them thin and crispy but you can make them thicker if you prefer) and cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on baking sheet & bake @ 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes.