- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 250g cream cheese
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100ml cream (35% milk fat)
- 60g cake flour
- 20g cornflour
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black sesame powder
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 140g castor sugar
- 2-3 tbsp of fresh milk
- Melt cream cheese and butter over a double boiler. Whisk to combine. Set aside to cool. Add the cream and whisk to combine.
- Meanwhile, line and grease the base and side of a 8-inch spring form cake pan. Preheat oven to 160C (fan-forced)
- Sift the cake flour and corn flour to the cheese mixture. Add in egg yolk, lemon juice, sesame powder* and salt. Gently whisk to thoroughly combine all the ingredients. At this stage, if your mixture is a bit too stiff, add in 1-2 tbsp of milk. The mixture should be similar to your normal cake mixture.
- Whisk egg white with cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar, tablespoon by tablespoon. Whisk until soft peak forms (don’t whip the egg white too stiff, the cake will be likely to crack).
- Add 1/3 of the eggwhite to the cheese mixture to lighten it. Then, gently but thoroughly fold the eggwhite to the cheese mixture. Be careful not to destroy all the air bubbles in the eggwhite.
- Gently pour into the prepared pan. Using foil, wrap the outside of the pan 2 or 3 times to prevent water leaking into the tin. Put the cake pan into a roasting pan. Add boiling water to half-way of the cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour 10 min or until the cake is set.
- Take out, leave in the pan to cool. Serve at room temperature.
NotesThe cottony cheesecake is a style of cheesecake popular in Japan - kind of like the love child of a ethereally light sponge and a cheesecake, with a barely there crumb that melts away on your tongue. Delicious? Quite.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
The Italian ExchangeSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More