- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 loaves brioche bread
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 ounces melted butter
- 2 ounces white chocolate chips
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chips
- chocolate or caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut all crusts from bread and then dice to half-inch cubes. Set aside in big bowl.
- In medium sauce pan bring cream to a simmer.
- In another large bowl whisk vigorously eggs, yolks, 1 cup of sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- When whisked to a pale yellow, add the hot cream a little at a time while still whisking; be careful not to curdle the eggs. Let cool.
- Pour over the cubed bread, tossing gently so all pieces of bread absorb the mixture. Let stand about 10 minutes.
- Brush butter to coat all sides of a 9-by-11-inch baking dish. Lay a sheet of parchment or wax paper along bottom and sides. Coat liberally with remaining melted butter.
- Sprinkle remaining half-cup of sugar in dish, allowing it to evenly coat sides and bottom.
- Slice and space evenly bananas in a single layer on bottom of dish.
- With your hands, gently toss the bread mixture and chocolate chips.
- Place the mixture in the dish, making sure it’s evenly distributed. Cover with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven.
- Cook for 35 minutes and remove foil. Let cook for 10 more minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let cool for about an hour and then turn out onto cutting board and slice.
- Serve with chocolate syrup or caramel sauce.
NotesThis is a classic Southern dessert, made even more decadent by using the French technique of making a custard, and then sugaring the pan to create a beautiful caramel colored covering on the outside.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More