BLACK BEAN SOUP
Black bean soup
- 1 cup dried black beans (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 dried chipotle chile
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
To prepare soup, sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
Combine boiling water and chipotle chile in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes or until soft. Drain, seed, and chop.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add beans, chipotle chile, 2 cups water, oregano, cumin, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours or until beans are soft. Place 1 cup of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in pepper and tomatoes; cook until thoroughly heated.