- Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- For the pate brisee (pie crust):
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar (I like to use vanilla sugar)
- 1 c. (2 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 TBSP chilled vodka
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. ice water, less 1 TBSP
- For the pie filling:
- 4 c. fresh blackberries
- 2 c. fresh blueberries
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP tapioca
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Turbinado sugar, if desired
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- 2. Combine blackberries, blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, flour, tapioca, lemon juice, and salt in a large bowl. Set aisde.
- 3. On a floured surface, roll out pate brisee disks to about 1/8 in. thickness. Using a rolling pin, roll one crust into the bottom of the pie dish. Press into the bottom and up the sides. Cut any desired design into the second (top) crust.
- 4. Foll pie crust with berry filling, then roll on top crust. Trim the excess dough with a paring knife, then create desired edge design using a fork or crimping with fingers. Brush the top crust with the egg and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar, if desired.
- 5. Bake the pie for 45 minutes, then tent with foil and bake 35 minutes more. Let cool completely before serving. Pie can be stored overnight without refrigerating or in the refrigerator up to three days.
NotesThis blackberry-blueberry pie highlights yummy summer berries and makes a fantastic base for a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
The Naked MacaronSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More