- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 40
- 5 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blackberries (do not use blueberries)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick Butter
- In medium bowl, stir together blackberries and sugar. Let stand about 20 minutes or until fruit syrup forms.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and milk.
- Stir in melted butter until blended.
- Spread in ungreased 9"x11" pan.
- Spoon blackberry mixture over batter.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar all over this.
- Cut butter in little pats, dot on top of sugar.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until dough rises and is golden.
- Serve warm with cream or can serve over ice cream.
NotesA 4th of July dish every year for us. I can remember the first one I made. We picked the berries, we made dough, rolled it out, & used cookie cutters to cut out stares for the top crust. I was 8. And so proud to show off my cobbler for the family reunion.
This recipe is faster & easier than the one I made many centuries ago. But just as good.