- Cooking Time: 8
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Dried Marjoram
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne – or to taste, I use just a pinch more than ¼ tsp
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Catfish Fillets about 8 oz each
- 1 large Clove of Garlic, sliced thin
- 1 TB Olive oil
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- With a mortar and pestle, grind oregano, Marjoram, Thyme and Kosher Salt
- In a small bowl, combine all the herbs, spices, and sugar.
- Pat your catfish dry and sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides, go ahead and rub it in to ensure complete and even coverage.
- In a large skillet, sauté the sliced garlic in olive oil over moderately high heat, just until golden.
- Remove garlic from pan and throw it away,
- Add butter to the pan; once the foam subsides introduce the fillets to the pan. Sauté for 4 minutes on each side or until almost cooked through (They will finish cooking after you remove them from the pan)
- Serve with Jambalaya, or gumbo
NotesI use this mixture to blacken chicken as well as fish, so I have a large quantity mixed up already. I usually serve this with Vegetable Jambalaya (I use Zatarain's as a base, I'll admit it).
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Chili Roasted Potatoes
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Best Banana BreadSee More