- Cooking Time: 8
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryI use this mixture to blacken chicken as well as fish, so I have a large quantity mixed up already. I usually serve this with Vegetable Jambalaya (I use Zatarain's as a base, I'll admit it).
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Dried Marjoram
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne – or to taste, I use just a pinch more than ¼ tsp
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Catfish Fillets about 8 oz each
- 1 large Clove of Garlic, sliced thin
- 1 TB Olive oil
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- With a mortar and pestle, grind oregano, Marjoram, Thyme and Kosher Salt
- In a small bowl, combine all the herbs, spices, and sugar.
- Pat your catfish dry and sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides, go ahead and rub it in to ensure complete and even coverage.
- In a large skillet, sauté the sliced garlic in olive oil over moderately high heat, just until golden.
- Remove garlic from pan and throw it away,
- Add butter to the pan; once the foam subsides introduce the fillets to the pan. Sauté for 4 minutes on each side or until almost cooked through (They will finish cooking after you remove them from the pan)
- Serve with Jambalaya, or gumbo