- Cooking Time: 25-30
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI couldn't stand it any longer. I had to try to make one of these. Normally I use my apples for good old apple pie, for nothing is quite so delicious served warm with a big slab of white cheddar cheese on the side. mmmmm. But it is time to break from the norm... After a little bit of research, this is what I came up with... Oh and I have to admit, I cheated, I should have used pate Brisee or Pate Sucree as a Pastry shell, but I used a box of Puff Pastry that I had in the freezer.
- 1 Sheet of Puff Pastry
- 7 TB Unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 firm Granny Smith or McIntosh Apples.
- 3/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Mace
- 1/8 tsp or 3 berries crushed All Spice
- the juice and zest of 1 medium blood orange
- Preheat oven to 375
- Utilize a 10 inch oven proof skillet (I used an enameled cast iron pan.)
- Roll out a sheet of puff pastry and cut an 11 inch circle.
- Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet, prick all over and store in the refrigerator until later.
- Peel and quarter the apples and toss in a bowl with the juice and zest of the blood orange, cardamom, mace and allspice.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the surface with sugar, once it melts into the butter begin adding the apples, cut side up, packing them in tight as they cook down and shrink.
- Pour any residual blood orange juice over the apples.
- Cook the apples over medium heat until the juices in the pan become caramel brown. (About 12 minutes)
- Remove from heat and take pastry from the refrigerator.
- Place pastry over the steaming apples and tuck the edges into the skillet around the filling.
- Cut a steam whole in the center (No one will see it, it will be on the bottom)
- Place in the oven and bake until the pastry is golden brown (About 25-30 minutes)
- Remove from the oven and let set for 10 minutes before placing a serving plate over the top and flipping the skillet over... CAREFUL, this is hot caramel.
- Some apples will probably stick a little, just remove them and place them on top of the tart.
- Serve warm with a little dollop of Creme Fraiche.