- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons blue cornmeal, preferably, or other cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying Butter and warm maple syrup
- Stir together in a large bowl the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk in eggs, half-and-half, milk, oil, and vanilla. Let batter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Alternatively, cover batter and refrigerate it overnight.
- Warm a griddle, preferably, or a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Pour a thin film of oil on griddle. Pour or spoon out batter onto hot griddle, where it should sizzle and hiss. A generous 3 tablespoons of batter will make a 4- to 5-inch pancake. Make as many cakes as you can fit on the surface without crowding.
- Flip pancakes just once, after 1 to 2 minutes, when their top surface is covered with tiny bubbles but before all bubbles pop. Pancakes are done when second side is golden brown, an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter, adding a bit more oil to griddle as needed.
- Serve pancakes immediately, accompanied by butter and syrup. The pancakes absorb more of both toppings than cakes made with regular flour, so plan on being generous with their use.
NotesNew Mexico style. Along with the especially nutty blue cornmeal itself, the generous amount of vanilla extract is the secret to Rancho de Chimayó’s tender raised cakes.
These recipes are from the upcoming The Rancho de Chimayó Cookbook: 50th Anniversary Edition, by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison (© 2014, Lyons Press, an imprint of Globe Pequot Press).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More