BLUE VELVET CAKE
- Servings: 12
- 4 cups self-rising or cake flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil, or softened butter or margarine
- 8 Tablespoons blue food coloring
- 4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup each chopped pecans and almonds
- 2 pkgs. instant vanilla pudding
Preheat oven to 350. Combine first seven ingredients. Slowly add food
coloring. Mix at high speed. For filling (pudding), follow instructions as written on the box. Oil and slightly flour two 8" or 9" baking pans.
Halfway fill each pan with batter, then add filling, and fill pan with batter.
Bake for at least 45-60 minutes. Insert toothpick in center of cake.
If tootpick comes out clean, then it is done. Cool, then frost.
Cover each layer with chopped walnuts, pecans and almonds.
Then cover frosted cake with remainder of chopped nuts.