- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided use
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups blueberries (raspberries), fresh or unthawed frozen
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350̊ F. Line a 8-inch square baking pan with foil so the foil extends by 2-inches on two opposite sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the topping: Combine 1/3 cup butter, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture forms moist clumps.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl, stir in pecans, cover and refrigerate while making cake.
- For the cake: Sift 2 1/8 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cinnamon into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat 1 cup sugar, lemon zest and 1 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one-at-a-time, until well combined. Add vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- In a small bowl toss the berries with the remaining flour and fold into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the batter, pressing gently so they adhere.
- Bake until the crumbs on top are golden and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove cake, in pan, to a rack to cool completely. Using foil extensions as an aide remove cake from pan.
- Cut into bars or squares.
NotesA wonderful way to use fresh summer berries. Use frozen berries out of season for the same great results.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More