- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided use
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups blueberries (raspberries), fresh or unthawed frozen
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350̊ F. Line a 8-inch square baking pan with foil so the foil extends by 2-inches on two opposite sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the topping: Combine 1/3 cup butter, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture forms moist clumps.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl, stir in pecans, cover and refrigerate while making cake.
- For the cake: Sift 2 1/8 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cinnamon into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat 1 cup sugar, lemon zest and 1 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one-at-a-time, until well combined. Add vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- In a small bowl toss the berries with the remaining flour and fold into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the batter, pressing gently so they adhere.
- Bake until the crumbs on top are golden and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove cake, in pan, to a rack to cool completely. Using foil extensions as an aide remove cake from pan.
- Cut into bars or squares.
NotesA wonderful way to use fresh summer berries. Use frozen berries out of season for the same great results.
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Lemon and Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes
Peanut Butter Butterfinger CookiesSee More