- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (7/8 ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or, if using frozen, don't thaw them)
- Preheat the oven to 375º (I was using a metal 9-inch pan, so I reduced the temp to 350º). Grease and flour a 9-inch-square pan.
- For Streusel: Whisk together the sugar, flours, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and mix to make medium-size crumbs.
- For Buckle: Whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy, then add the eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl between additions. Stir in half the dry ingredients, then the milk and vanilla, scraping down the sides. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients, then gently fold in the blueberries. Spread the batter in the prepared pan, and sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top.
- Bake the buckle until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool, in the pan, on a rack.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More