- Cooking Time: 16
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- For dough:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- For filling:
- 2 cups (1 pint) fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 beaten egg plus 1 tsp. water for egg wash
- Sugar for sprinkling
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let stand until mixture begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Place in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add shortening, yeast and water, eggs and vanilla and beat until dough is smooth. Let stand while preparing filling.
- 2. Mix filling ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 3. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Add flour whenever dough threatens to stick. Cut dough into pieces 5 inches square. Place 1 tbsp. of filling in center of square, then fold dough over on top and pinch to close. Pinch ends closed. Cover buns with a towel and let stand 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Brush buns with egg wash and sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake until browned, about 16 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Mexican Wedding Cakes
Classic Beef Stew
chocolate peanut butter cream cheese fillingSee More