- Cooking Time: 5 min
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15 min
- 1 1/2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal (I use Albers)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur White Wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey or real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- About 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (May use frozen-do not thaw)
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine honey or syrup, oil, buttermilk and egg. Stir well, and quickly mix into the dry ingredients. Let stand for 10 minutes to soften the cornmeal.
- Preheat a griddle or large heavy skillet.
- Lightly grease the hot griddle and your spatula. Pour on the batter, about 1/4 cup for each pancake. Then sprinkle the tops with the blueberries, and cook until the tops are bubbly. Turn and cook until golden on the other side.
- Serve with butter, warm maple syrup.
NotesThese are our very favorite pancakes. The color and texture of the cornmeal is counterpoint to the juicy blueberries and the tangy buttermilk. If fresh berries are not available frozen unsweetened ones work just fine. This recipe is very low in gluten. Recommend a side dish of bacon or pork sausage.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Special SmoothiesSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More