- Cooking Time: 35-40
- Servings: 12- 16
- Preparation Time: 10
- 150g butter
- 100g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Light Brown soft sugar
- 4 rounded tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- ½ unwaxed lemon, grated zest
- 275g rolled oats (porridge oats)
- 125g fresh blueberries
- Tate & Lyle Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160Cfan) gas 4. Grease and line a shallow 20cm square tin with parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Put the butter, Tate & Lyle sugar and Lyle’s Golden Syrup into a medium pan, add the lemon zest then heat gently until melted. Stir in the oats, when coated, gently fold in the blueberries. Turn into the tin, level and press the mixture evenly and firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes then cut into 12 or 16 pieces whilst still warm. Cool completely before turning out onto a board and cutting again with a sharp knife.
- Dust the tops of the flapjacks with a little icing sugar if liked.
- Tip : eat within 2 days of making as the fruit will soften these flapjacks.
NotesWhether it is the appeal of the make-do-and-mend culture that out grandmothers knew, the return of the popularity of the humble cup cake, or the new trend for artists to use food as a medium for art such as the Cake Britain exhibition, there is no denying that baking is back. Three quarters of families with young children now bake together every month. Lorna Rhodes has teamed up with Lyle’s Golden Syrup to show how parents can teach their children about baking. First recipe in the frame is the flapjack. Flapjacks are perfect for parents and children to develop their cooking skills and enjoy results which taste great every time.
To learn more about the magic of Lyle’s visit the new website: www.lylesgoldensyrup.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Christmas CookiesSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More