- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 dry pint blueberries (2 1/2 cups) rinsed and picked over
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 6 large egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring blueberries, lemon juice and sugar to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Let it continue to boil slowly for 35 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and puree it in a food processor or blender.
- Scald the cream and half & half together, lower heat to very low.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and pour a little jolt of the hot cream into them, whisking constantly, to temper the yolks.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the cream and cook over low heat, stirring, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, transfer into a bowl, stir in vanilla and refrigerate until cold (I usually leave it overnight).
- In the morning, combine the blueberry and the cream mixture and freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.
- Makes approximately one, very purple quart.