- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 dry pint blueberries (2 1/2 cups) rinsed and picked over
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 6 large egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring blueberries, lemon juice and sugar to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Let it continue to boil slowly for 35 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and puree it in a food processor or blender.
- Scald the cream and half & half together, lower heat to very low.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and pour a little jolt of the hot cream into them, whisking constantly, to temper the yolks.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the cream and cook over low heat, stirring, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, transfer into a bowl, stir in vanilla and refrigerate until cold (I usually leave it overnight).
- In the morning, combine the blueberry and the cream mixture and freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.
- Makes approximately one, very purple quart.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More