- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 dry pint blueberries (2 1/2 cups) rinsed and picked over
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 6 large egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring blueberries, lemon juice and sugar to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Let it continue to boil slowly for 35 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and puree it in a food processor or blender.
- Scald the cream and half & half together, lower heat to very low.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and pour a little jolt of the hot cream into them, whisking constantly, to temper the yolks.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the cream and cook over low heat, stirring, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, transfer into a bowl, stir in vanilla and refrigerate until cold (I usually leave it overnight).
- In the morning, combine the blueberry and the cream mixture and freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.
- Makes approximately one, very purple quart.
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More