- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a recipe from my pastry arts class. These are delicious and the flavors are subtle and fantastic.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbl baking powder
- 3 tbl sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tbl butter (cold and cubed)
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a small bowl toss blueberries with a spoonful of flour. This will keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the scones. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Pour dry mix onto counter top. Cut in butter and lemon zest using a pastry blender or your hands until mixture resembles a dry meal.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add the heavy cream little by little, cutting in until dough forms. Cut the berries in the dough for a little bit, to chop up a few, but not turning them into mush. Form dough into a disk, wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Lightly flour surface and turn refrigerated dough onto it. Knead dough till slightly sticky and press into circle shape. Cut into wedges. Place wedges onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and brush wedges with milk and coat with sanding sugar. Bake 15-20 minutes till golden brown. Serve warm.