- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 3 cups Heavy Cream (for Ice Cream)
- ¾ cups Sugar, For Ice Cream
- ½ teaspoons Cinnamon (for Ice Cream)
- ½ teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract (for Ice Cream)
- 1 pinch Salt, For Ice Cream
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberries (for Compote)
- ¼ cups Water (for Compote)
- ⅛ cups Sugar (for Compote)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract (for Compote)
- 1 whole Lemon, Juice And Zest (for Compote)
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, Chilled And Cut Into Small Pieces (for Crust)
- 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Chilled And Cut Into Small Pieces (for Crust)
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar (for Crust)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour, Plus More For Dusting (for Crust)
- ½ teaspoons Salt (for Crust)
- Ice Cream:
- Add 1 cup of cream and 3/4 cup of sugar to a small saucepan.
- Heat on the stove briefly, stirring just until you feel that all the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the other 2 cups of cream, the pinch of salt and the splash of vanilla.
- Add the 1/2 tsp cinnamon and whisk really well so there are no clumps.
- Stir and refrigerate for several hours.
- Then follow your ice cream machines instructions for churning, usually about 20 minutes.
- Blueberry Compote:
- Mix berries, water, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool slightly before storing in refrigerator until chilled or overnight.
- The sauce thickens on it’s own as it chills.
- Pie Crust:
- In your mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, butter and sugar on medium speed until the mixture is smooth. Make sure there are no visible lumps of butter or cream cheese.
- Mix for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour and mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Shape each one into a flat disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- (This dough can be frozen for up to a month.
- Just thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- You could easily cut the recipe in half, but I love having the convenience of an extra home made crust ready to use!)
- I rolled this out to fit a pie plate and baked in a 350°F oven for about 30 minutes and lightly golden brown.
- To assemble ice cream:
- Spoon the ice cream into a large bowl.
- Add about 1 1/2 cups of baked pie dough which has been cut into small pieces.
- Mix gently.
- And then drop the blueberry compote in by teaspoonfuls, onto sections of the ice cream.
- Swirl very gently with your spoon to disperse the blueberries, but don’t mix completely in or else the whole thing will turn purple!
- Spoon into containers and freeze.
NotesAll the sweet components of pie a la mode in an ice cream!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More