BLUEBERRY PIE ICE CREAM
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 3 cups Heavy Cream (for Ice Cream)
- ¾ cups Sugar, For Ice Cream
- ½ teaspoons Cinnamon (for Ice Cream)
- ½ teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract (for Ice Cream)
- 1 pinch Salt, For Ice Cream
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberries (for Compote)
- ¼ cups Water (for Compote)
- ⅛ cups Sugar (for Compote)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract (for Compote)
- 1 whole Lemon, Juice And Zest (for Compote)
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, Chilled And Cut Into Small Pieces (for Crust)
- 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Chilled And Cut Into Small Pieces (for Crust)
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar (for Crust)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour, Plus More For Dusting (for Crust)
- ½ teaspoons Salt (for Crust)
Add 1 cup of cream and 3/4 cup of sugar to a small saucepan.
Heat on the stove briefly, stirring just until you feel that all the sugar has dissolved.
Remove from the heat and add the other 2 cups of cream, the pinch of salt and the splash of vanilla.
Add the 1/2 tsp cinnamon and whisk really well so there are no clumps.
Stir and refrigerate for several hours.
Then follow your ice cream machines instructions for churning, usually about 20 minutes.
Mix berries, water, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Cool slightly before storing in refrigerator until chilled or overnight.
The sauce thickens on it’s own as it chills.
In your mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, butter and sugar on medium speed until the mixture is smooth. Make sure there are no visible lumps of butter or cream cheese.
Mix for about 5 minutes.
Add the salt and flour and mix until just combined.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
Cut the dough in half.
Shape each one into a flat disk.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
(This dough can be frozen for up to a month.
Just thaw in the refrigerator before using.
You could easily cut the recipe in half, but I love having the convenience of an extra home made crust ready to use!)
I rolled this out to fit a pie plate and baked in a 350°F oven for about 30 minutes and lightly golden brown.
To assemble ice cream:
Spoon the ice cream into a large bowl.
Add about 1 1/2 cups of baked pie dough which has been cut into small pieces.
And then drop the blueberry compote in by teaspoonfuls, onto sections of the ice cream.
Swirl very gently with your spoon to disperse the blueberries, but don’t mix completely in or else the whole thing will turn purple!
Spoon into containers and freeze.
Website Credit: http://www.frommysweetheart.com/