- Blueberry Filling:
- 6 cups fresh blueberries (used frozen)
- 1 granny smith apple or 2 small; peeled and grated on large holes of box grater
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. quick cooking tapicoa, ground ( used 2 tbsp. corn starch)
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tsp. water
Put rack in lowest position in oven and place a rimmed baking sheet on rack and heat oven to 400 degrees.
Place 3 cups berries in medium saucepan over medium heat. Using potato masher, mash berries several times to release juices. Continue to cook, stirring frequently and mashing occasionally. Half of the berries should be broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups, takes about 8 minutes. Let cool.
Add the top crust with venting cut into it and brush top with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
Place pie in oven and bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees and continue to bake
until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool pie for at least 4 hours.
The Recipe for the pie dough in on my blog: http://canadianbakertoo.blogspot.com/search/label/Pie%20Crust