- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4- 1 cup blueberries
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8-inch-diameter cast iron skillet with nonstick spray. Whisk flours, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and lemon zest in large bowl to blend. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub in until coarse meal forms. Make well in center of flour mixture. Add buttermilk. Gradually stir dry ingredients into milk to blend. Mix in blueberries.
- Dough with be a wet raggy mess. pour into skillet, don't shake the pan to settle the dough. It will get to heavy if you do. Sprinkle dough with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar or raw sugar.
- Bake bread until brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool bread in pan 10 minutes. Transfer to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Notes: If you are using powdered buttermilk just add the powder to the dry ingredients and pour in the 1 cup water just as you would liquid buttermilk.
- The addition of the cake flour keeps things nice and tender.
- This isn't a firm loaf. You could add more flour or reduce the liquid if you prefer the traditional shape. This loaf is super moist.
- I found that with my oven it is best to cook at 425 for 25-30 minutes.
- The possiblities are endless with this one. Omit the sugar and you have a great savory soda bread base.
NotesThis is based off a sweet soda bread recipe I found in Bon Appetit Magazine. The orginal recipe calls for raisins. I added a larger quanity of blueberries and tweaked it a bit. It is a great way to use our blueberry crops up here.
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More