- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis cooks for 4 people. The best results is obtained by cooking it in a Le creuset caserole.
- 8 pieces of stewing beef such as shoulder
- an egg size slice of butter
- 25 of Grelot onions or small onions
- 125g of Pork breast
- Salt and Pepper
- spoonful of flour
- half a liter of some Burgundy red wine
- half a litre of beef stock
- "bouquet garni"+ 2 garlic pods
- Ask your butcher to prepare 8 pieces of stewing beef such as shoulder. Then start cutting in to thick slices 125g of Pork breast.
- In the casserole cut a an egg size slice of butter and let it melt . Once the butter is sizzling. Add in 25 of Grelot onions or small onions if you can't find any. Let them turn into a blond color which should take you approximately 5 min. Take them out of the casserole with a skimmer and store them for the end of the recipe.
- Keep the gas on a low medium. Now add the pieces of pork to the butter, let them blond for 1 or 2 min and take them out of the casserole with the skimmer.
- Salt and Pepper the pieces of beef and add all of them in the casserole where the butter still is, plus the pieces of Pork. Turn up the heat a bit, to color the pieces of meat in a blond color approx 2 min. Take a spoonful of flour and blend it with the meat by stirring it in the casserole.
- Then, Take half a liter of some Burgundy red wine and poor it over the meat, let it boil up, add half a litre of beef stock let it boil gently too. Then add the "bouquet garni"+ 2 garlic pods. Cover up the casserole with the lid and let it gently cook for 3 hours on a low gas mark, just enough to hear a gentle bubbly noise.
- After 2 h 45, add back in the onions left aside. 15 min later take out the pieces of beef on to a heated plate. Take out also the bouquet garni and the garlic.
- Turn up the heat. Leave the casserole open and start reducing the sauce for approx 20 min. It has to be thick enough to cover the back of a wooden spoon, it needs to be consistent. Not as thick as jelly but not as runny as water. Check if there is enough salt and pepper before serving.
- The meat goes well with some boiled potatoes 2 or 3 per person. When served the meat needs to be generously covered up by the sauce.
- Now after 3h30 min, you're in heaven.