- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 to 5 pounds green (raw) peanuts in shell
- 4 to 6 quarts water
- 1 cup plain salt
- Wash unshelled peanuts thoroughly in cold water until water runs clear; then soak in cool, clean water for approximately 30 minutes before cooking.
- In a large pot, place soaked peanuts and cover completely with water.
- Add 1 cup of salt per gallon of water. Cook, covered, on high heat for 4 to 7 hours.
- NOTE: the cooking time of boiled peanuts varies according to the maturity of the peanuts used and the variety of peanuts.
- The cooking time for a 'freshly pulled" or green peanut is shorter than for a peanut that has been stored for a time.
- Boil the peanuts for about 4 hours, then taste. Taste again i 10 minutes, both for salt and texture.
- Keep cooking and tasting until the peanuts reach desired texture (when fully cooked, the texture of the peanut should be similar to that of a cooked dry pea or bean).
- Remove from heat and drain peanuts after cooking or they will absorb salt and become over salted.
- Peanuts may be eaten hot or at room temperature, or chilled in the refrigerator and eaten cold, shelling as you eat them.
- Freezing boiled peanuts:
- Prepare peanuts as indicated above.
- Drain, allow to cool, and freeze in airtight containers. They keep indefinitely.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More