- Cooking Time: 180
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 strips bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- salt and ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (28-oz) cans crushed tomatoes in puree
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon, onions, celery, carrot, and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add beef; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned, 8 - 10 minutes.
- Raise heat to high. Add milk and nutmeg; cook, stirring frequently, until milk has evaporated, 6 - 8 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring frequently, until wine has evaporated, 6 - 8 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes into beef mixture; simmer gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to prevent sauce from becoming too dray (1 1/2 to 2 cups total), until sauce is thick and beef is very tender, about 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
Rainbows Of Vegan Love
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More