- Cooking Time: 180
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 strips bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- salt and ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (28-oz) cans crushed tomatoes in puree
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon, onions, celery, carrot, and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add beef; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned, 8 - 10 minutes.
- Raise heat to high. Add milk and nutmeg; cook, stirring frequently, until milk has evaporated, 6 - 8 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring frequently, until wine has evaporated, 6 - 8 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes into beef mixture; simmer gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to prevent sauce from becoming too dray (1 1/2 to 2 cups total), until sauce is thick and beef is very tender, about 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More