- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 42
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple, sugar-free, packed in its own juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or homemade substitute or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3-4 scallions, white and green, very thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds ground pork
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the coconut. Toast, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Set aside to cool.
- 2. Drain the cup of canned pineapple in a sieve placed over a bowl to catch the juice. Press the pineapple pulp against the sieve with a wooden spoon to extract the excess moisture. Place the pineapple in a large mixing bowl and save the juice for later.
- 3. To the pineapple, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cayenne, coconut aminos, ginger, garlic, scallions, jalapeño, and eggs. Beat with a wooden spoon until combined. With your hands, crumble the pork into the bowl and knead until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- 4. Arrange the bowls of pineapple juice, spiced coconut, and seasoned pork for easy access. Measure a level tablespoon of pork to make a meatball, lightly douse it in the pineapple juice, then roll it in the coconut, pressing the coconut shreds into the meat by lightly rolling the ball between your palms. This is a rare case in which more isn’t better — don’t go too cuckoo with the coconut. Line up the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart.
- 5. Slide the meatballs into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until sizzling and golden brown.