- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the first 6 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the next 4 ingredients.
- Now thoroughly stir the two mixtures together. Pour into a buttered one-pound coffee can.
- Cover top tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place on rack in a deep pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Pour boiling water to come halfway up the side of the can.
- Cover and set heat so that water barely bubbles. Cook for two hours, or until wooden skewer inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Remove from water.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Unmold and cool on rack before slicing.
- Serve with softened cream cheese
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More