- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the first 6 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the next 4 ingredients.
- Now thoroughly stir the two mixtures together. Pour into a buttered one-pound coffee can.
- Cover top tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place on rack in a deep pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Pour boiling water to come halfway up the side of the can.
- Cover and set heat so that water barely bubbles. Cook for two hours, or until wooden skewer inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Remove from water.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Unmold and cool on rack before slicing.
- Serve with softened cream cheese
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More