- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 T unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 1/2 oz pecan halves or pieces (by weight)
- 6 oz all-purpose flour (by weight)
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 2 T ice water
- 2 T bourbon, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- 3 1/2 oz sugar (by weight)
- 6 oz golden syrup
- 4 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 T bourbon
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 8 oz spiced pecans (chop 6 oz leave to whole to top pie)
- Chill butter in freezer for 15 minutes
- Pulse pecans 6-7 times in a food processor or until finely ground
- Add flour and salt, pulse additional 4-5 times
- Add butter and pulse 6-7 times, until texture looks mealy.
- remove lid and add water and bourbon, pulse 5-6 times until mixture holds together when squeezed and feels like dough.
- Transfer dough to a gallon-sized zip-top bag
- Form dough into a ball and press into rounded disk
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk eggs, sugar, golden syrup, butter, bourbon, vanilla and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Flour dough and roll to fit tart pan
- Evenly sprinkle 6 oz chopped spiced pecans into crust and pour filling on the top
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Place remaining spiced pecans in a ring on edge of pie
- Bake 10 additional minutes or until the center of the pie tests 200 degrees.
- Freeze pie for 8 hours to 2 weeks. Cut pie frozen for clean cuts.
NotesWe saw this on an Alton Brown Thanksgiving special. We had to scratch our usual Thanksgiving desert and try this. It was worth it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More