- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 medium baking potatoes (Russets work well), peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes (about 1 lb.)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp minced or crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1. Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil for 4-5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- 2. Heat the oil in a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until just shimmering. Add potatoes, salt and pepper. Cook, shaking the pan back an forth, for 10-12 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and crisp all over.
- 3. Add the green onions, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Shake the pan again or stir constantly again for 1 minute. Add the butter and continue shaking the pan until the butter is melted.
- 4. Serve immediately.
- Boiling the potatoes before they go into the fry pan might seem like a hassle, but they par-cook; it produces a much nicer final product, crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. Also, once the garlic hits the hot pan, it'll burn if it sits. I like to mix the green onions, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic together, making a little slurry, and then dump the whole thing into the pan when it's time. The added liquid from the Worcestershire helps keep the garlic from burning right away. The butter really is optional, but I don't know why you'd ever leave it out.
NotesThis recipe came from one of Emeril's early cookbooks. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Emeril, but a good recipe's a good recipe no matter where it comes from, and any recipe that involves crispy potatoes, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce is a GOOD recipe. Bold and sharp, these go well with seriously hearty breakfasts OR casual dinners.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More