- Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk (you can also use a mix of heavy cream and lowfat milk)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pignoli nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano, grated
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 large slices (about 1 lb.) beef bottom round, already cut into braciole slices by butcher, or cut and pounded thin
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced
- Imported provolone
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- tomato paste
- small amounts of basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl and add milk a little at a time. Make it so the bread becomes damp but not too wet.
- Stir in the eggs, parsley, cheese, pignoli nuts and garlic. Mix well and set aside.
- ***If your meat isn't already pounded thin*** With a meat mallet, pound each slice of beef round to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Arrange one of the pounded meat slices in front of you and top with prosciutto.
- Spread some of the stuffing over the prosciutto, leaving a 1 inch border around the edges.
- Place a stick of provolone crosswise over the edge of the stuffing closest to you.
- Fold the border closest to you over the provolone, then fold the side borders in to overlap the edges of the stuffing. Roll into a compact roll.
- Secure the end flap with twine or toothpicks. Finish all the rolls, then season with salt and pepper.
- Put oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat with chopped garlic and add rolls. Turn after first side is seared.
- After second side is seared, turn again, then add tomatoes, seasonings, and tomato paste.
- Stir together carefully (work your spoon around the meat), turn heat down to low, and cover.
- Cook for at least 2 hours (the longer, the better), stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta.
NotesI've been making this for a while - it's one of my husband's favorites. I most recently made it for him on Valentine's Day.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Lau Family RecipesSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More