- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 ea beef shanks, with bone, about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs total
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 1/2 onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine (I used the cabernet/merlot, good wine makes good sauce!)
- 1 cup beef stock (optional, I used water)
- 1 tbls. olive oil.
- Generously salt and pepper beef shanks. Optional: coat in flour. Heat olive oil in large saute pan until hot. Quickly sear beef shanks until brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Add bacon to hot pan, cook until done. Add in onions, carrots, garlic and cook to tender. When veggies are soft deglaze pan with red wine. Add can of diced tomatoes. Place beef shanks back in pan and cover and simmer for at least an hour to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender. Even better would be to place in covered baking dish in oven at 350 degrees.
- Serve Beef shanks with their sauce over cooked pasta, or polenta, or even cous cous.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
My Family Cookbook
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More