- Cooking Time: 45-50
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 8 6-8 oz first cut/pork steaks
- (cheap .99 per pound) pork chops $4.00
- 1 medium onion diced
- (.10 (alternate green onions))
- 3 T vegetable oil (.10)
- 3 T cajun seasoning
- (available very cheaply at my walmart).10 (alternate chili powder, salt and gumbo file)
- 1 T chicken base
- (minors is great but I use granulated).10)
- 3 cups water
- (.00(alternate for chicken granuales and water 3 cups canned chicken stock, waste of money tho)
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained (.89)
- 1 can black beans drained
- (.89 (alternate kidney beans)
- 16 oz frozen okra ($1.00)
- 16 oz frozen corn (.89)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (.25)
- salt and pepper to taste
- total cost= $7.25
- season all pork chops with cajun seasoning, brown in oil in a heavy bottom fry pan and place in 4 qt pot
- saute onions in fry pan until lightly browned and add to pot.
- deglaze the pan (add water and scrape pan to get the bits out of it) and add to pot.
- add chicken base and stir being sure pork is covered.
- bring to boil
- turn down to simmer for 15 minutes
- remove pork and set asside, add all vegetables and rice stir lightly and bring to boil.
- reduce to simmer and place pork on top of rice simmer covered for 18-20 minutes adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- serve and enjoy.
- serving: one pork chop and 1 cup of rice pilaf.
- there will be leftover rice for seconds (they will ask)this whole dish would sell for 7.95 with a food cost of .90 per plate.
- Total cooking and prep time under 1 hour. Actual work time (time dicing and preparing)10 minutes.
NotesI love to create dishes for friends and family, last friday we had 8 of us and I made this one up total cost under 10 dollars. It is basically dirty rice made with pork chops. I have an aa in culinary arts and have been working in food service since the age of 14, now i am 38 and have been a chef for the last 15 years. I will be posting dishes as they come and picture of the finnished product as I create them. These days we need to use cheaper cuts and immagination to create something special. I will cost out all my recipes. All my recipes will use readily available ingredients, no strange things you would have to go to a gourmet store to acquire.
this is a complete meal costing in at less 10 dollars.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Special SmoothiesSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More