- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 slices bacon (4 oz), cut crosswise into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 chicken, cut up into 8 pieces (I used chicken legs because it was all we had)
- 1 lb onion or shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated & peeled
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar.
- Cook bacon in a deep, 12-inch, heavy skillet over moderately low heat, turning twice, until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and reserve bacon fat in skillet.
- While bacon is cooking, pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown in bacon fat, beginning with skin side down, in 2 batches, over moderately high heat, turning, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer browned chicken with tongs to a plate, and pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet.
- Lower heat, add onions to skillet and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft and pale golden, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook onions, stirring, until deep golden, about 10 minutes more.
- Add garlic and 1 cup water to skillet and boil, stirring, 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet, turning pieces to coat, then arrange them skin sides up and gently simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through and garlic is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken with tongs to a serving dish. Add vinegar to sauce and boil, uncovered, mashing garlic with back of a spoon or a potato masher, until slightly thickened.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper and pour over chicken, then sprinkle with bacon (I tossed out the bacon after using it for the grease because I don't really care for bacon).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce