- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds beef short ribs, about 10 ribs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 to 12 garlic cloves smashed
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 12 ounces good ale (recommended: Bass)
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- Season the ribs generously with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy pot with a lid (Dutch oven) over high heat.
- Brown the ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary.
- Remove the ribs and pour off all but a couple tablespoons of the rendered fat.
- Return the pot to the stove, lower the heat to medium and saute the garlic and ginger for about 3 minutes.
- Add the ribs back to the pot.
- Add the beer and the vinegar.
- Stir and then cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Pour the hoisin sauce over the ribs, move the pot to the oven, and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove ribs and ginger from sauce.
- Strain fat from the top of the pot so that you're left with just the good stuff.
NotesRecipe courtesy Dave Lieberman
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More