BRAISED HOISIN BEER SHORT RIBS
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds beef short ribs, about 10 ribs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 to 12 garlic cloves smashed
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 12 ounces good ale (recommended: Bass)
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- Season the ribs generously with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy pot with a lid (Dutch oven) over high heat.
- Brown the ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary.
- Remove the ribs and pour off all but a couple tablespoons of the rendered fat.
- Return the pot to the stove, lower the heat to medium and saute the garlic and ginger for about 3 minutes.
- Add the ribs back to the pot.
- Add the beer and the vinegar.
- Stir and then cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Pour the hoisin sauce over the ribs, move the pot to the oven, and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove ribs and ginger from sauce.
- Strain fat from the top of the pot so that you're left with just the good stuff.
NotesRecipe courtesy Dave Lieberman
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More