- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup shimeji mushrooms, cleaned
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- ½ cup sake
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounces calrose rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig scallion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Chives, for garnish
- Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, grated
- Rinse and clean mushrooms and trim the stems. Slice the shiitake mushrooms.
- In a saucepan, mix the soy sauce, mirin and sake. Heat liquid on medium to high heat and bring to a light boil. Add the mushrooms and cook until the liquid reduces to half. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and butter on medium heat. Slowly sauté the onions and scallions for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that they do not brown.
- Turn the heat to high, add the rice and stir. Add the mushrooms and remaining liquid. Stir. Add a ladle of vegetable stock. Stir again. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continue adding vegetable stock, ladle by ladle, making sure that the liquid is fully absorbed after each ladle. Continue until the rice is soft but with a grainy bite.
- Remove risotto from heat. Serve on individual plates.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan and chives.
NotesA creamy Japanese-style mushroom risotto that will warm the heart.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with Sabra
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More