- Cooking Time: 120–180
- Servings: 4–6
- Preparation Time: 25
BackstoryDid you know that in some cases pepper has been used to stop bleeding?
Dr. Robert Lee of Beth Medical Center recommends that you wash the affected area first with water and soap and then sprinkle pepper and apply gentle pressure. It will not sting since pepper is analgesic, anti-bacterial and has antiseptic properties.
- 4 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lg Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 cups red wine
- 1 medium tomato, crushed
- ¼ bunch fresh thyme
- 2 cups beef or veal stock
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Season short ribs with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In heavy preheated pan, heat olive oil and brown short ribs on all sides.
- About 5 minutes per side.
- Remove meat from pan and reserve stock.
- Sauté onion, celery, carrots and garlic in the pan that was used for the meat.
- Cook until tender.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, stock and bay leaves.
- Place meat back in pan.
- Cover with lid and cook for 2–3 hours or until tender.