Braised Sirloin Tips
1½ pounds sirloin tips
½ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons bacon grease, divided
3 medium onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cans beef consommé
½ cup water
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 cans mushrooms, sliced
1. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top bag. Place sirloin tips in bag and shake bag
vigorously to coat tips well.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons bacon grease in skillet and brown the sirloin tips. Remove sirloin tips from skillet.
3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of bacon grease to skillet and sauté onions and garlic.
4. Put meat back into skillet and add consommé, water, rosemary, and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil,
reduce to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender. Add mushrooms and
simmer for a few minutes.
5. Make a roux of flour and water; add to mixture gradually to thicken (if mixture gets too thick, add