Braised Smoked-Paprika Chicken
Why I Love This Recipe
Suggested serving is over rice or Orzo. This has a lot of creamy red sauce, and tastes great when paired with some mashed potatoes!
I found this recipe through a monthly e-mail on eatingwell.com I had to make a few adjustments, since I never have bone-in chicken on hand, and I cook often for two. So, this is what I came up with. This recipe has yet to have anyone resisting seconds! A favorite for all indeed!
* is optional
Nutritional Information for 1/3 prepared amount: Calories 271; Fat 9.2g (2.2g Saturated Fat); Protein 33.6g; Fiber 2.8g; Sugar 5.7g; Potassium 132.2mg
Ingredients You'll Need
3-4 (appx 1 lb total) Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Halves, cut into strips
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Margarine
1/2 Tbsp Canola Oil
1c Onions, diced
sugar- just a pinch
**1/2 c Red Bell Peppers, diced
**1/4 c Green Bell Peppers, diced
3 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Paprika OR Smoked Paprika!
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
*a dash of parsley, dill, and/or Chives
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 c Chicken Broth (OR substitute with 1/2 c Water + 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube)
1/4 c Light Sour Cream
1/4 tsp Salt
**Substitute bell peppers for mushrooms! Yum!
1) Chicken: In a large metal bowl, (if possible) pat chicken dry and dust with salt, pepper, and flour. Toss gently to coat.
2) Heat margarine and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions brown and soften, 10-15 minutes.
3) Stir in bell peppers, tomato sauce, paprika, and remaining dry seasonings. Add broth. Cover and simmer on low to medium-low until chicken tenders- appx 30 minutes.
4) Stir in sour cream and remaining salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring often, until sauce thickens.
5) Turn heat back down to simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.