Braised Smoked-Paprika Chicken
3-4 (appx 1 lb total) Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Halves, cut into strips
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Margarine
1/2 Tbsp Canola Oil
1c Onions, diced
sugar- just a pinch
**1/2 c Red Bell Peppers, diced
**1/4 c Green Bell Peppers, diced
3 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Paprika OR Smoked Paprika!
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
*a dash of parsley, dill, and/or Chives
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 c Chicken Broth (OR substitute with 1/2 c Water + 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube)
1/4 c Light Sour Cream
1/4 tsp Salt
**Substitute bell peppers for mushrooms! Yum!
1) Chicken: In a large metal bowl, (if possible) pat chicken dry and dust with salt, pepper, and flour. Toss gently to coat.
2) Heat margarine and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions brown and soften, 10-15 minutes.
3) Stir in bell peppers, tomato sauce, paprika, and remaining dry seasonings. Add broth. Cover and simmer on low to medium-low until chicken tenders- appx 30 minutes.
4) Stir in sour cream and remaining salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring often, until sauce thickens.
5) Turn heat back down to simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Pairs Well With
Suggested serving is over rice or Orzo. This has a lot of creamy red sauce, and tastes great when paired with some mashed potatoes!
I found this recipe through a monthly e-mail on eatingwell.com I had to make a few adjustments, since I never have bone-in chicken on hand, and I cook often for two. So, this is what I came up with. This recipe has yet to have anyone resisting seconds! A favorite for all indeed!
* is optional
Nutritional Information for 1/3 prepared amount: Calories 271; Fat 9.2g (2.2g Saturated Fat); Protein 33.6g; Fiber 2.8g; Sugar 5.7g; Potassium 132.2mg