BRAT, BEER AND CHEESE SOUP
- Servings: 8
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (or milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 bratwursts, cooked and sliced
Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium heat.
Add onion, celery and carrots.
Cook about 15 minutes or until tender, stirring every so often to keep from sticking.
Stir in flour, cook about 1 minute.
Add potatoes, stock and beer.
Bring to a boil and cook 10- 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Add mustard powder, granulated garlic, salt and peppers.
Combine milk and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
Stir into soup.
Remove soup from heat.
Add cheese, stirring until cheese is melted and smooth.
Remove 2 cups of vegetables with some liquid and add to a blender or food processor.
Stir back into the soup to give it nice body.
Return to low heat and add sliced, cooked bratwurst.
Cook until bratwurst is warm- about 5 minutes.