- Cooking Time: 5 to 6 hours
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil
- 5 to 6 bratwurst links, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained.
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.In skillet, heat oil.
- 2.Add brats.
- 3.Cook until browned on all sides.
- 4.In 4-quart crock-pot, combine potatoes, sauerkraut, apple, onion, brown sugar and salt.
- 5.Stir in bratwurst and pan drippings.
- 7.Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until potatoes and apples are tender.
NotesMy father was a potato farmer and he use to say "It's not a meal without potatoes". Almost any sausage can be used in place of bratwurst. My mother always used ring bologna. The smell brings back memories of home and comfort food. Here in Minnesota it's not a Casserole-it's a Hot Dish.
Submitted by: "Rena Waalkens-Masyga"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More