- Cooking Time: 5 to 6 hours
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil
- 5 to 6 bratwurst links, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained.
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.In skillet, heat oil.
- 2.Add brats.
- 3.Cook until browned on all sides.
- 4.In 4-quart crock-pot, combine potatoes, sauerkraut, apple, onion, brown sugar and salt.
- 5.Stir in bratwurst and pan drippings.
- 7.Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until potatoes and apples are tender.
NotesMy father was a potato farmer and he use to say "It's not a meal without potatoes". Almost any sausage can be used in place of bratwurst. My mother always used ring bologna. The smell brings back memories of home and comfort food. Here in Minnesota it's not a Casserole-it's a Hot Dish.
Submitted by: "Rena Waalkens-Masyga"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More