- Cooking Time: 5 to 6 hours
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryMy father was a potato farmer and he use to say "It's not a meal without potatoes". Almost any sausage can be used in place of bratwurst. My mother always used ring bologna. The smell brings back memories of home and comfort food. Here in Minnesota it's not a Casserole-it's a Hot Dish.
Submitted by: "Rena Waalkens-Masyga"
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons oil
- 5 to 6 bratwurst links, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained.
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.In skillet, heat oil.
- 2.Add brats.
- 3.Cook until browned on all sides.
- 4.In 4-quart crock-pot, combine potatoes, sauerkraut, apple, onion, brown sugar and salt.
- 5.Stir in bratwurst and pan drippings.
- 7.Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until potatoes and apples are tender.
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wife
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Chips Galore Cookies
Betty Crocker Spinach-Cheese BallsSee More